Monday, October 8, 2007

NY vs. NC

So...the only thing I miss about NYC so far is food and family. Of course, I miss our families! Its nice to just have someone familiar to see sometimes. My parents were like the ultimate babysitters, my mom invited us over for dinner almost every Sunday, Steven being able to see his dad anytime he wanted...ahhh good times. Its nice to be there for that. Of course, we knew what we were in for. We still absolutely feel we made the right decision, though. Everytime I see Josiah playing outside with rocks and dirt, or at night when he can see the stars and moon and he flips out in the car saying "STAR, MOON, SKY!! Ooooh - MOON!!!! ooooh - STAR!!!" , and he gets completely overwhelmed with excitement, I know it was the right move for us!

I miss food in NY too. A lot of things here are chain restaurants and not your lil mom and pop places, or greasy spoon diners...YUMMMMM. Steven and I went to this diner in Queens almost EVERY weekend. We would both get a full breakfast and coffee with a check less than $10! Ahhh good times. Or the time my boss and I went to a greasy spot on the Upper West Side and their menu was 28 PAGES LONG...no exaggeration!! I miss sausage and pepper stands, NY chinese food and heroes! Oh, and bakeries! Still havent found one here! Funny enough, we found a pizza place about 5 minutes from our house called NYPD Pizza. And they are from Ridgewood!!!!!! What a small world, huh?!

Anyway, I cant really say I miss NY yet...because I dont. I dont miss driving into the city every day and paying a $5 toll. I dont miss getting on the subway and dealing with all the crazies. I dont miss driving around the block for an hour looking for parking. I dont miss paying $1200/month for a 3rd floor railroad apt next to GHETTO people who would curse their kids out all day long, blast their music, and smoke weed on their fire escape. I dont miss carrying Josiah up all those steps either! And...best of all, I WILL NOT miss sharing a room with 3 other women after I gave birth to Josiah! In the hospital here, every woman gets a private room! And....they roll you out of the hospital in a wheelchair!! Hahaha, in NY Steven carried the carseat down and I took the elevator and walked to the car! That is SO wrong. hahaha.

Anyway, those are my feelings as of now. I LOVE our new home and am so happy Steven and I made this move. We miss our families and hope to be in the area for Thanksgiving...with Ella! In the meantime, who wants to move here?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

girl! i SO understand what you are saying! family and food. that's about it! when i go back to my parents, there's always a list of foods we have to eat - chinese, BOAR'S HEAD cold cuts, beef patties, pizza (although there's a guy here from NY). i'm happy you'll have your own room when ella comes. you were in tight quarters last time! :)